Building memories one cottager at a time
1964 – On August 24, Bill Smith hires 12 men to commence the construction of a production plant and the first unit is produced on November 2. The first manufactured unit was a 13’ x 7’ travel trailer for Mr. Jim George of Sarnia.
1965 – Original manufacturing facility expands 8,400 sq. ft. to a total of 21,400 sq. ft.
1970 – Northlander produces a mobile church for a Quebec taxi company.
1975 – Northlander replaces electrical tools with air tools.
1977 – Northlander begins to manufacture Mobile Homes to CSA standards; provides 70 replacement homes to Cobalt, Ontario after devastating fire destroys 123 homes.
1983 – Local GM dealer Bob Hamather purchases Northlander, maintaining Canadian family-owned tradition.
1988 – The “Penthouse” Park Model is a “show stopper” when unveiled at the Toronto Motor Home Show, featuring whirlpool tub, circular bed and a mirrored ceiling.
1992 – Northlander begins to manufacture Park Models to CSA standards and is the first manufacturer to receive “Category Certification” allowing Northlander to custom build park models.
2000 – On February 2, Northlander ships its 10,000th unit, a Legacy travel trailer to Niagara Trailers.
2004 – Two manufacturing facilities are acquired for a Finishing Plant and inventory storage, totally 88,000 sq. ft. on 12 acres, bringing facilities to a total of 148.000 sq. ft. on 26 acres.
2006 – Northlander develops the Mini Home, in response to demand for energy efficient and environmentally friendly recreational living.
2007 – Full one-year and five-year limited warranty offered.
2011 – Northlander purchases CNC equipment and is the first manufacturer to offer and build on site, “European” or “Full-Access” cabinets for their units.
A leader in innovation
Northlander has been the first to offer many innovative advancements:
- Northlander introduces the first 14′ wide Mobile Homes. (1977)
- Cathedral ceilings. (1981)
- First to introduce 12′ wide Park Model floor plans. (1986)
- The first “vinyl sided” Park Model is built. (1991)
- Sunken room sun parlour additions. (1992)
- Affixed covered decks on Park Models. (1993)
- The first 14′ wide Park Model in the industry. (1994)
- Park Models with matching factory constructed additions with shingled roofs and vaulted ceilings. (1995)
- First manufacturer to offer unlimited one-year written warranty and two years on specific components.
- The first Park Model with an outdoor kitchen on a covered deck is produced. (2009)